Now that the seat covering was taken care of it was time to think about how we would attach the pan to the bike. Scott didn't like the look of coiled seat springs so as an alternative he bought flat bar steel and used a blow torch to bend it into a U-shape. Scott drilled some holes in the seat pan as well as in the steel "springs" and bolted them to the bottom of the seat. A hinge was then bolted under the front of the seat so when it was attached to the frame it would pivot slightly to allow for movement created by the spring compression.
When the glue was dry we attached the hinge and mounted the seat to the bike.
Surprisingly, this proved to be the hardest part as there's so many different options for padding out there. We looked at quite a few options for padding but liked the firmness of a kneeling pad (like the kind used for gardening) and it was perfect. We cut the pad to size using the same template we used for the seat pan and sanded the corners to make them rounded.